Monday, December 10, 2012

No More Training Wheels

Isaac has been riding a bike with training wheels since he was three. Neither David or I are big bikers, so it wasn't a priority to take the training wheels off. We also live in an area with steep incline, so it is an ordeal to ride a bike. We have to pack it up in the trunk, and drive somewhere. Its not the way I learned how to ride a bike when I was a kid - step out your front door and start pedaling.
We knew that this birthday we wanted to get Isaac a new big bike. I originally was going to order one online, and I am so glad that we didn't. We went to a couple bike stores and tried several bikes until we found one that fit him like a glove. The man at the bike shop, who was very knowledgeable, told us that we had our work cut out for us. He thought we had waited a little too long to start teaching Isaac, and that he it was going to take him a while to learn. He did say to only practice for 20 minutes a day - keep it short and sweet.
The next day I took him out, and we practiced. It was one of the toughest work outs I have done, and I am in pretty good shape. I mean, I can run 10 miles at this point - but running along side him, holding up his body weight, and anticipating his sideways movement was very difficult. I was holding him with two hands under the armpits and rolling him around.
We woke up the next morning and did it again. There was huge improvement. I was still holding him, but with one arm, and he was starting to check his balance. Third day I held the back of his tshirt between my fingers letting go from time to time, and the fourth day he was riding on his own while I ran beside him.
On day five I took him to the park along with Davids parents who were in from out of town, and David, and everyone was blown away. I could no longer keep up with him, so I just had to let him go, and it was easily one of the scariest parenting moments so far. It was at that moment that I knew we needed some elbow and knee pads - and even some biking gloves - but I was amazed at his confidence on the bike, and his enjoyment of the new freedom he found while riding all over the park.
In the past week he has mastered starting and stopping the bike, turning, and controlling his speed. He has not yet mastered telling people he is coming, and has consequently ridden into the back of a couple elderly people's legs. We immediately ordered a bell.
The addition of pads has made me feel much  more comfortable, and every day with increased experience I am settling into yet another one of his 'big boy' milestones. We have ordered a bike rack, my bike has been pulled out of storage, and I am looking forward to exploring LA on wheels with my little man.

No comments: