Friday, June 15, 2012

Isaac's Preschool Graduation

There was a lot of build up to Isaac's graduation. First there was the search for a kindergarten which was intense, draining, and emotional. David and I spent a tremendous amount of time and energy touring schools, researching our options, and weighing the pros and cons of every imaginable scenario. I don't want don't want to spend too much time talking about this because I am thrilled to finally be past it, but I will say that the public education system in California is in a very scary and very depleted place. I toured our home school four times over the past year hoping that something would change, and nothing ever did. We also scoured charter school options, applied to three, and were accepted to all of them. In the end none of them were as good a fit for Isaac as the school that we decided on. When I realized that our home school was as large as it was, and had very little arts education David and I decided to entertain the idea of private school - something we never thought we would do. After a ton of research I came across a couple 'Progressive Schools' in our area. The philosophy at these schools was so inline with the way that we parent our kids, and our hopes for their education. We immediately felt connected to them, and excited about the idea that this type of education was actually possible for our kids.Yes progressive education is an alternative to the test-oriented instruction that so many public schools have become wrapped up in (they have no other choice) legislated by the 'No Child Left Behind' educational funding act, but it is really about so much more. Based on the teachings of John Dewey, progressive education stressed the importance of community, respect for diversity, and learning through projects that help develop a deep and rich understanding of the curriculum being studied. It is hands on learning deeply routed in building, creating, making, visiting, and teamwork. It is a direct reflection of the democratic society we live in. There are very few textbooks or desks, and no tests. I know that makes it sound radical, but it really isn't. The school is focused on the individual child, and the strengths and qualities that make them unique. The depth of the curriculum, and richness of the learning at the school we finally selected is unlike anything I had ever seen, and unlike the way I was taught. Is it better? I cant say that, but it seems the best fit for Isaac.
Having finally selected a school we all felt a huge sense of relief. We had teetered between a wonderful inclusive charter school, and the school we selected - money being the number one deciding factor. Once we removed that from the equation the choice was obvious, and we wanted to make it a priority and find a way to give this gift to our children.
So it was graduation time. Isaac had been practicing with his class for weeks. His teachers even seemed to think it was overkill to suck up his last weeks of preschool with so much practice, and I have to agree. The ceremony ended up being very sweet. We arrived early and literally sprinted for front row seats. Mission accomplished. There were a thousand songs, diplomas being handed out, and some very thoughtful touches. Clearly this was a milestone that was important to so many people, and an emotional one at that.
Isaac mentioned to be that he was supposed to say what he wanted to be when he grew up once he was on stage. So I asked him what he was going to say, and he said 'Architect'. My goodness, I thought. Its such an amazing profession, but also one that is so very demanding. I felt pride that he wanted in some tiny way to be like me, I also felt astonished that at his very young age of 5 I could actually see  him becoming an architect. He is consumed with building, and very very good at it. I haven no idea if this will stick, and I certainly wont sway him in that direction. It will be wonderful to watch him continue to grow and develop and change his mind hopefully a hundred times before something just feels right.
So when the moment came, and he stepped on stage (the first boy) and his teachers asked him 'What do you want to be when you grow up' his answer was, 'A Basketball Player'. I smiled ear to ear. The perfect answer. These are the years when anything still seems possible, dreams are lofty and goals seems easily reachable. I envied his confidence and excitement, and so happy his answer was a beautiful reflection of the joys of being five.

No comments: