Monday, July 09, 2012

Coco Starts Preschool

I have been in Mommy and Me with Coco for a year now. Many kids transition into an independent preschool class -at the school she and Isaac attends - once they turn two. Because Coco has had some delay in her development I decided to keep her in Mommy and Me an extra few months and start her in Summer. I really cant believe that Summer has arrived, and the time has come for her to transition. 
People have told me how different their two children are, but I never understood how this could be possible until I had my own. In many ways Coco and Isaac are very similar. The are sensitive, observant, respectful, and a little slow to warm. In the case of transitioning they were night and day. Isaac had a really tough time when he transitioned. I attribute to doing it to early, when he was two. Coco is older, and she also has the added benefit of practically growing up at that school. Her current teachers have known her since she was two days old, and have watched her grow up. She has dropped Isaac off almost every day, attended all of the school wide events, and been in Mommy and Me for an extended amount of time. She was very clearly ready to start, and when I dropped her off she practically asked me to leave. I checked on her for the first couple hours, but she didn't need me to and really seemed to want me to leave so she could continue having fun. She is now going three days a week until 3pm. She naps at school, and I pick her up with Isaac. It is the last time for a long time that I will be able to drop both kids off and pick them up at the same place and the same time. I am savoring every second of it. Now that my days have freed up a bit, I have been able to do so many things that I have been putting off. It is amazing to get a three or four hour stretch of work in. It is the first time since Coco was born that I have had this and I am absolutely not taking it for granted.

No comments: